Welcome to Arlington Traditional School Library!
The ATS library is a caring and welcoming environment that promotes a love of reading and empowers students to be lifelong learners and critical thinkers while effectively navigating a multitude of resources. The library staff strives to:
- Foster an excitement for and love of books and research
- Provide current print and multimedia resources to teachers, students, and families that support the APS and state-wide curricula
- Instruct students in the usage of online databases and appropriate search engines while imparting library and research skills
- Establish an attractive, student friendly environment in which students and staff will become effective users of ideas and information
- Act as a lead with technology
- Work collaboratively with the ITC to teach responsible Digital Citizenship skills
The library staff believes that the “library is the heart of the school” and endeavors to promote that philosophy through ATS’ schoolwide practice of the ABC’s of character. Students begin checking out books on the very first day of school. It is decorated in an engaging manner to peak student interest. Displays and bulletin boards draw students’ attention to varied library resources and special events. Lessons are designed in collaboration with teachers to enhance curriculum objectives.
All students at ATS have the opportunity to check out books once a week during their scheduled library class time. Additionally, the library is open for a half-hour at the beginning of the day for open check out. Students may ask their teachers at any time to come to the library for books.All books have a two week circulation period, but PreK and Kindergarten students are encouraged to return their books each week in order to learn good library habits. With close to 2,000 books being circulated on a weekly basis, we work hard to ensure that books are circulating smoothly and properly shelved. Books that are lost or damaged will need to be paid for by the end of the school year and families will be notified through a note home.